The journey has started. Ali arrived into Houston yesterday and we spent the day running errands. We met up with Ali's friend from college, Elyssa for lunch at Hungry's, a yum restaurant. It was so great to see Elyssa before we left and discuss the finer points of travel injuries for those of us prone to "klutzism" (Ali).
A few more errands included Starbucks, Microcenter, the bank and obviously one last trip to our favorite place, REI. Ali obviously made friends with the banker and asked to see pictures of "his monkey," which was what his kid dressed up as for Halloween. He brought us each a cold cup of water since Ali was so friendly, (really she just needed water to take some Tylenol) (don't worry Mom I just had a minor headache - Ali)
We each unpacked our backpacks, compared our stuff, and then repacked. I definitely have more pills. I have 3 big bottles of pills from my acupuncturist for injuries and digestion. I was hesitant about bringing it all but would rather take those than western meds so I shoved them into my pack. Well at this point we were both getting anxious and pretty silly. Discussing where our last dinner would be resulted in Sushi King! No better way to leave America, right?
After dinner we took my wonderful pup, Max, to his long-term foster parents. Thank god for good friends! I cried, obviously, and my dad took a lot of photos. Ali decided to call it a night after being up since 5 AM for the flight to Houston. I was less than considerate as I was vigorously in search of heat patches for my back for the plane. My anxiety was high and I decided at 1 AM it was a wise decision to do an acupuncture electrical cord treatment, so I did. Ali woke up and looked at me as if I were nuts, which may have been slightly on target. I eventually fell asleep.
(now Ali's taking over) I have to say that rolling over and seeing Sarizz with wires and clothespines connected all over her body was not that unusual I think that Sarizz might decide to study to be a shaman by accident because she would probably love it and I can always use a good shaman (who couldnt really?). Today started with Sarizz's mom Deb doing one of the greatest things a Jewish mother can do get us bagels and lox and whitefish.
I mean what could have been a better send off? We finalized our packs and got ready for the airport. I have some issues with travel anxiety so I like to get to the airport an unhealthy amount of early so we compromised and got there about two hours before our flight. Sarizz and I were in that laughing, giggling swhere you are nervous so everything is funny.
Sarizz went to the bathroom (for the 80th time) (we're staying hydrated!) and met a new friend because she was carrying a backpack. Now we talk to everyone because who knows if we meet Peruvian royalty or something. Now we're on the plane and my neighbor is lurking at what I'm writing so I wnt him to know that he is devilishly handsome and if he happens to have a spare bedroom Sarizz and I would be hppy to help a Peruvian out if he ever needs a guest to stay there for free, watch his cats, whatever. (Editors note that guy turned out to be much more devilish than handsome as he proceded to drink approximately 12 mini bottles of wine and had trouble maintaining personal space).
For dinner Sarizz and I were served a delicious assortment of airline food. I got the airplane meatballs while Sarizz (who pretends to be a vegan but she eats red meat) ate some lettuce. Suffice it to say we gave our neighbors all of our brownies and bread and we will not be pursuing careers in airline culinary arts (I think they offer that course at University of Phoenix?) Sarizz and I are perusing our South American guide book deciding where the wind will blow us next. It is a strange new experience for me not having a plan but I think it's good for me. Not having a plan might be exactly what I need right now. All I know is Sarizz and I are staying in Lima for the next few days and that seems perfect to me.
Flight was good, we watched Dogs in the City which kept us entertained while we were nicely trying to evade conversation with our airplane neighbor. He did give us some good tips on places to go but you know those people that just keep talking, they don't get the hint... Last resort... The headphones. And he still didn't really get it. We listened to a guided meditation but there was this beeping that just would not quiet down. We tried to focus but there were quite the amount of distractions. Once we got off the plane we waited for about 45 minutes to go through customs and obviously made another contact. Off to baggage claim where we threw our packs on. It was so neat, their security dogs are small beagles which specialize in sniffing for fruit and agriculture. What do you know, the dog sat right in front of Ali and would not move so the guy searched Ali's bag and found almondes (almonds). Ali got her almonds back, we walked out and Oscar was waiting with a sign. The car ride was great, we both spoke Spanish. Now we are at this B & B and the owners are on vacation until tomorrow so the whole house is ours. Tomorrow Chica is coming to make us breakfast at 8:30 so off to bed we go. Lots of love.




A few more errands included Starbucks, Microcenter, the bank and obviously one last trip to our favorite place, REI. Ali obviously made friends with the banker and asked to see pictures of "his monkey," which was what his kid dressed up as for Halloween. He brought us each a cold cup of water since Ali was so friendly, (really she just needed water to take some Tylenol) (don't worry Mom I just had a minor headache - Ali)
We each unpacked our backpacks, compared our stuff, and then repacked. I definitely have more pills. I have 3 big bottles of pills from my acupuncturist for injuries and digestion. I was hesitant about bringing it all but would rather take those than western meds so I shoved them into my pack. Well at this point we were both getting anxious and pretty silly. Discussing where our last dinner would be resulted in Sushi King! No better way to leave America, right?
After dinner we took my wonderful pup, Max, to his long-term foster parents. Thank god for good friends! I cried, obviously, and my dad took a lot of photos. Ali decided to call it a night after being up since 5 AM for the flight to Houston. I was less than considerate as I was vigorously in search of heat patches for my back for the plane. My anxiety was high and I decided at 1 AM it was a wise decision to do an acupuncture electrical cord treatment, so I did. Ali woke up and looked at me as if I were nuts, which may have been slightly on target. I eventually fell asleep.
(now Ali's taking over) I have to say that rolling over and seeing Sarizz with wires and clothespines connected all over her body was not that unusual I think that Sarizz might decide to study to be a shaman by accident because she would probably love it and I can always use a good shaman (who couldnt really?). Today started with Sarizz's mom Deb doing one of the greatest things a Jewish mother can do get us bagels and lox and whitefish.
I mean what could have been a better send off? We finalized our packs and got ready for the airport. I have some issues with travel anxiety so I like to get to the airport an unhealthy amount of early so we compromised and got there about two hours before our flight. Sarizz and I were in that laughing, giggling swhere you are nervous so everything is funny.
Sarizz went to the bathroom (for the 80th time) (we're staying hydrated!) and met a new friend because she was carrying a backpack. Now we talk to everyone because who knows if we meet Peruvian royalty or something. Now we're on the plane and my neighbor is lurking at what I'm writing so I wnt him to know that he is devilishly handsome and if he happens to have a spare bedroom Sarizz and I would be hppy to help a Peruvian out if he ever needs a guest to stay there for free, watch his cats, whatever. (Editors note that guy turned out to be much more devilish than handsome as he proceded to drink approximately 12 mini bottles of wine and had trouble maintaining personal space).
For dinner Sarizz and I were served a delicious assortment of airline food. I got the airplane meatballs while Sarizz (who pretends to be a vegan but she eats red meat) ate some lettuce. Suffice it to say we gave our neighbors all of our brownies and bread and we will not be pursuing careers in airline culinary arts (I think they offer that course at University of Phoenix?) Sarizz and I are perusing our South American guide book deciding where the wind will blow us next. It is a strange new experience for me not having a plan but I think it's good for me. Not having a plan might be exactly what I need right now. All I know is Sarizz and I are staying in Lima for the next few days and that seems perfect to me.
Flight was good, we watched Dogs in the City which kept us entertained while we were nicely trying to evade conversation with our airplane neighbor. He did give us some good tips on places to go but you know those people that just keep talking, they don't get the hint... Last resort... The headphones. And he still didn't really get it. We listened to a guided meditation but there was this beeping that just would not quiet down. We tried to focus but there were quite the amount of distractions. Once we got off the plane we waited for about 45 minutes to go through customs and obviously made another contact. Off to baggage claim where we threw our packs on. It was so neat, their security dogs are small beagles which specialize in sniffing for fruit and agriculture. What do you know, the dog sat right in front of Ali and would not move so the guy searched Ali's bag and found almondes (almonds). Ali got her almonds back, we walked out and Oscar was waiting with a sign. The car ride was great, we both spoke Spanish. Now we are at this B & B and the owners are on vacation until tomorrow so the whole house is ours. Tomorrow Chica is coming to make us breakfast at 8:30 so off to bed we go. Lots of love.
No comments:
Post a Comment